Did you know?
- “If everybody in America inflated their tires to the proper level, we would actually save more oil than we’d get from drilling.” President Obama on the campaign trail in 2008
- In North America alone there is enough oil to fuel every passenger car in the United States for 430 years.
- Only 3 percent of federal lands are currently leased for oil production.
- The Obama administration’s permitorium in the Gulf has resulted in 57 percent fewer deepwater permits, a 68 percent reduction in shallow-water permits, and a 50 percent reduction in plans that gain approval in the year-to-date.
- The U.S. is the third largest oil-producing nation in the world, behind only Saudi Arabia and Russia. Our total recoverable oil resources are more than six times the proved reserves of Saudi Arabia.
- In fiscal year 2011, oil production on federal lands decreased by 11 percent, while oil production on private and state lands increased by 14 percent.